Friday, December 23, 2005

"Worry Never Robs Tomorrow of Its Sorrow; It Only Saps Today Of Its Strength."
I am an expert worrier. No topic is so small that I can't blow it up into something big. The merest hint of an ill wind can trip the hair-trigger mechanism that gets me going. I believe it has taken years to develop such a reflex. Originally, I worried that what or who I loved would be taken away from me or never be given to me in the first place.
But, worry can become a way of life- it sometimes seems like I don't know how to live any other way. In the grips of this delusion, I usually assume that if I DON'T worry about something, it will happen for sure. As if worry had the power to ward off tragedy!
As opposed to cautious realism, chronic worry is indiscriminate and irrational. I don't worry about disasters because they're so likely to happen, I worry because that's what I know how to do. Worry doesn't prevent the loss of anything except my own peace of mind.
I recognize that habitual worry is a learned response from long ago. Today I choose serenity.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

Amen! Many of us struggle with worry, I can totally relate. Thanks for this reminder

11:53 AM  
Blogger daisymarie said...

And a very good choice it is!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Constance said...

Yes indeed. Speaking as an expert worrier, you've covered some important ground here. Remember what you have said here as January 10 comes closer...This time next week it will all be over.
Blessings,

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my grandmother is a chronic worrier. im moving from her home with my 2 kids and she said "the kids shouldnt be sleeping upstairs, the house could catch fire". one time her dog got its eye poked out from the german shepard, in fear of it happening again, she locked up the little dog for the rest of its life. not wanting my kids to be outside because someone might take them, when we live way back here in the woods, and on 36 acres. making my kids put on their shoes everytime it storms, supposedly her daughter was electricuted when she was a little girl for not wearing shoes on linoleum floor, which was like 40 years ago. one thing happens and they take desperate measures for it not to happen again. they would rather lock the kids in the house in fear that something might happen or they might get hurt.

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home