Sunday, November 20, 2005

"Fear knocked at the door, Faith answered and nobody was there."
This is a quote often said at my meetings. I am not sure where it originated from, but it is a quote that has worked for me these past few months while I haven't been well enough to go to them. When I first heard this said I thought it sounded crazy, I didn't get it. I get it now though. When I am fearful, I am pushing faith out of my sight and out of my thoughts. For me, fear comes in many forms. Fear of more illness, not only of myself but for the people I love. Fear of abandonment, financial insecurity, not knowing what lies ahead in tomorrow, fear of yesterdays' skeletons falling out of the closet and so on.
When I focus on fear, it rules my life. It tears away ambition, kind actions or thoughts. It creates resentments, jealousy and anger. I begin to doubt my life, my friends and my family's intentions. It can change how I feel and react about most things, which under normal circumstances would not bother me. It throws me in a deep, dark well with no way out. The incessant droning of negative thoughts drives me mad. Then it comes. Like a gentle wave, or a soft breeze. Renewal of faith. A phone call from a friend in the program, a kind word, good news from the doctor, relief of symptoms left over from an illness, ability to hold my children, laugh, cry, accept and feel at peace with what is going on around me. Faith answered when fear was pounding down my door. This is my life lesson. Everyday I need to remind myself that God has laid down his plan for me that day. All that is required of me, is to ask God for acceptance, courage, wisdom and especially the strength to carry it out. Today, I have a choice. It can be a good day, or a bad day. I can choose to look at my yesterday's as failures, or lessons. Tomorrow is too uncertain for specific plans, but for today I know God will give me the strength to endure as long as I am willing to ask for help. This is a piece of prose read at most of my meetings, it helps me when I feel overwhelmed. I wanted to share this with anyone who is interested. It has helped me many times to stay in the now, in today. As Ray Charles delicately phrased it "Live everyday like it's your last, because one day you'll be right."
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
author unknown
"There are two days in every week about which we should not worry,
two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.
One of those days is Yesterday, with it's mistakes and cares it's faults and blunders, it's aches and pains.
Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control. All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday.
We cannot erase a single word we said we cannot undo a single act we performed.
Yesterday is gone.
The other day we should not worry about is Tomorrow, with it's possible adversities, it's burdens, large promise and poor performance.
Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control. Tomorrow's sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds but it will rise.
Until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow for it is yet unborn.
This leaves only one day, Today.
Anyone can fight the battles of just one day.
It's only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities,
Yesterday and Tomorrow that we break down.
It's not the experience of today that drives us mad.
It is remorse or bitterness for something which happened yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow may bring
Let us therefore live but one day at a time."

11 Comments:

Blogger Constance said...

Well said Barb. How true for me too. Those negative thoughts and behaviours just feast on fear. Faith is the antidote to fear...as is gratitude...as is what the Bible calls Perfect Love...which I think is rather close to faith. Perfect love does not harbour suspicions but trusts and in relation to God this means trusting that things will work out...as you say.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

You have no idea how much I needed to hear that. Thank you.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Constance said...

This wonderful post deserves more than two comments and with your permission, I will post it on my blog as a guest blog.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Constance said...

I posted you on my blog. People can leave comments for you here or on my blog.

4:33 PM  
Blogger annie said...

I too needed the reminder, I've been entertaining my fears way too much lately. Thank you for sharing so honestly. You are an encouragement to me.

6:43 PM  
Blogger DeeRoy said...

The quote is from Maya Angelou.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know why I saved this as a bookmark. WOW I say. How this message can help cope everyday Is amazing. Thank you Barbara Love. Jackie

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fate knocked at the door. Fear answered. Nobody was there.......

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a powerful entry to find at this point in my life. About to embark on an overseas adventure and i am freaking out. Fear of flying, fear of being away from family for so long, fear that 'what if something happened to my family and i am all the way over the other side of the world'. Until today when i went to see my doctor so he could prescribe me some anti anxiety tablets. We chatted and he gave me this quote about fear and faith. I'm a Christian myself, and it struck me today how much fear i have. Until my non-Christian self professed atheist doctor gave me this profound quote. Such a blessing #Godworksinmysteriousways

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of your readers posted that Maya Angelou was the author of the quote and it was not anonymous. My experience says otherwise.
In the 1970's we bought a house that had been built in 1923. Carved into the old wooden mantle in 1923 was the phrase -
"Fear knocked, Faith answered. No one was home."

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard the 'Fear knocked' quote at my Sunday meeting, which set me to Googling it. I came upon your blog, and it hit the spot. At sixteen years sober, I'm again hitting a tough spot with fear. Thank you so much for your sharing; it was just what I needed, today. Kim.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home