Friday, November 11, 2005

On Remembrance Day..............
How can I honour those to died for my freedom? How can I remember? I have not lived in times of war, nor have I seen the devastating effects of it. I haven't lived through the hardship of losing or leaving loved ones behind because of war. In school I didn't really understand the magnitude or depth of sacrifice these men and women made. How could I?
I was lucky to feel well enough to take my children to the remembrance Day Service, accompanied by my Dad. As my daughter sang the national anthem with everyone, she would point out and tell people where the Canadian and the Ontario flags were. She proudly announced to many people in the large crowd that she lives in Canada.
We watched as the ambulatory elderly Vets proudly walked by in a parade of sorts, listened to bagpipes, drums and watched as a WW2 plane flew overhead at 11 am. It was a sunny, beautiful and cold day. A great day for it's cause. Many peope were gathered in Memorial Park.
As we sang O Canada, I tried my hardest to think of what it must have been like for mothers, wives, daughters, fathers, husbands and sons to watch their loved ones leave and not know if they were going to come back. I can only imagine. Then I wept, gently. I began thinking about how much I take my freedom for granted.
I am completing my placement for college at a retirement home. Through this placement, I know some of the aged men and women who served this country. Some are now confined to wheelchairs, who are misunderstood and neglected. Some of the few who have been forgotten, sometimes by their own families, but also by my generation, and the one that follows. By their country. Except for one day of the year. Is this fair? It has really made me think. What can I do? How can I remember? How can I honor the people who fought for this country's freedom? For my freedom? My families' freedom? One thing I intend to do is learn more about the WW1 and WW2, and teach my own children to be respectful, proud and grateful for all of the things we often take for granted. As much as I'd like to, I cannot change the world. I know, however, that I can change my little part of it. I was telling my 4 year old daughter Rachael that to live in Canada makes her one of the luckiest people in the world. At that time I realized how much I can (and do) learn from trying to teach my children right and moral things. Today I am grateful for freedom of choice, freedom to vote, freedom to have an education.
I am proud to be Canadian.

1 Comments:

Blogger Constance said...

Barbara,
This is a great post, and you know...you really said a mouthful when you said that you learn by teaching your children. Wow!!! What other things have you learned from teaching your children? That would make an interesting post. A list perhaps.
Love,

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home